Bin filling up fast - can I mix and match with Dalek bins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bin filling up fast - can I mix and match with Dalek bins

I bought a big Hotbin in November. It is now lovely and hot, but we generate a lot of food waste and it is filling up v fast, and that's before I start adding garden waste or grass clippings as we come into spring. I've already had to take stuff out of it at the bottom but wife is not best pleased as it is still pretty sticky and not v nice to look at. I have a big green Dalek bin. So the question is: if I take semi-composted stuff out of the bottom of the hotbin and stick it in the Dalek, will it keep composting and get to nice dry compost? Or will I just find I have a whole Dalek full of the sticky stuff?

Originally posted by DanielAlex View Post
    I bought a big Hotbin in November. It is now lovely and hot, but we generate a lot of food waste and it is filling up v fast, and that's before I start adding garden waste or grass clippings as we come into spring. I've already had to take stuff out of it at the bottom but wife is not best pleased as it is still pretty sticky and not v nice to look at. I have a big green Dalek bin. So the question is: if I take semi-composted stuff out of the bottom of the hotbin and stick it in the Dalek, will it keep composting and get to nice dry compost? Or will I just find I have a whole Dalek full of the sticky stuff?
    It should continue to break down, albeit at a much slower rate. Is it semi-composted i.e. you can still see lots of identifiable food waste or is it finished i.e. its black, sticky and wet with a clay like consistency if you squeeze it into a ball? I operate my Hotbin all year round and the layer at the bottom is always wet and sticky (leachate from above and rainwater getting in) regardless if its finished or not. If your Dalek is in contact with the ground, it should help absorb excess moisture. All my compost goes into a Dalek to cure and dry out and eventually it can be put through a sieve. The end product is worth the extra effort.

Comment

Working...
    X