Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacqui
    replied
    That’s helpful advice re the water but tap, also we moved ours to a better place yesterday, and took some very woody uncomposted stuff out of the bottom to reduce the weight and I’m thinking this will have to go into a normal compost bin for the worms to break down more, I need to add more shredded card as I have a lot of wet grass.

Leave a comment:

• Corby80
    replied
    Hi, I have had a hotbin for 3 years or more. I also suffer from excess leachate although my bin is always operating at a high temperature ( as I write this it is running at nearly 70 degrees c). I have the bin set up on bricks so that I can get a deep tray underneath ( I use an old base of a large propagator) and as I have a mk1 bin I have made a hole in the zinc mesh into which I have fitted a water but tap so I can easily drain the sump by pulling the bin forward. My problem is that I use a fair amount of grass cuttings in my bin which produce a lot of moisture. I visited the Hotbin stand at Malvern earlier in the year and explained my problem and was advised to use more paper/cardboard which I have started to do. I have had a lot of compost from my bin but when I empty the bottom layer it is always very wet and doesn't appear to be very composted so I transfer it to another standard type compost bin (with a door at the bottom) to 'mature'. Then the brandling worms take over and turn it into what I would have expected the hotbin to produce (as demonstrated on their stand at shows). Also I also don't empty the bin until I can get no more waste in the top. Hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

• Jacqui
    replied
    Hi I have a similar problem, I have taken off approx 500ml of leachate every two weeks since I got the hotbin in June this year, I think I need to put it up on bricks as I can’t catch all the liquid, I haven’t found anything suitable to collect it in without making a mess and wasting it.

Leave a comment:

• Plaisted562
    replied
    I’m new to it too started in June. Got heats & similar leacheste but not as much as you. Haven’t dared try the product yet as am waiting for the three months to pass. Think it’s not too bad though

Leave a comment:

• Potts
    started a topic Hot bin but lots of leachate

Hot bin but lots of leachate

My hotbin is operating at ca 50 degrees but I am getting loads of leachate maybe half a litre per day . The leachate is odourless and a nice dark brown but is watery .
    i have been using my hot bin since beginning of June . It is now early August.
    the compost at the bottom of the bin which I took out yesterday was very wet and slightly smelly ( like manure )
    i use loads of shredded cardboard and paper.
    What am I doing wrong?
Working...
X